The California Psychological Association (CPA) is a non-profit professional association for licensed psychologists and others affiliated with the delivery of psychological services. CPA is our professional organization whose mission is to preserve and protect our interests as psychologists. ACPA is a local chapter organization of CPA.
CPA’s goals are to:
- Work for the licensure of psychologists
- Closely interact with the state legislature and sponsor legislation that is good for psychologists and the public
- Promote greater access to mental health care services for the consumer
- Extend protection of the rights of psychologists to practice to the full extent allowed by law
- Support the psychologists of California in their efforts to promote the health and well-being of all citizens through volunteer association members and professional staff
- Educate the public about when and how to access psychological services as well as provide referrals when requested
- Provide leadership to the profession through legislative advocacy and regulatory oversight, marketing, and media outreach
- Create opportunities for continuing education, networking and mutual support among psychologists of all areas of specialty
- Offer professional practice consultation by providing information on clinical, legal, and ethical issues to help psychologists better serve the public
- Promote research, education, and training in psychology
In addition to the role of advocate for the profession of psychology, CPA's members regularly provide free public service through programs such as its Public Education Campaign and its well-respected disaster response service. Additionally, CPA works closely with the media to provide timely and accurate information in order to demonstrate the positive role that psychology plays in our everyday lives.
While membership in your local chapter is important to your local professional interests and practice as a psychologist, so is your membership in your state association, CPA. Without strong membership in CPA, psychologists do not representation or protection. Membership in CPA is a best practice.
Please take this moment to join CPA or renew your membership at www.cpapsych.org and login to your profile and follow the instructions to renew.